Ridiculously Epic…

Right and wrong are just words. What matters is what we do

Lucas’ Birth Story

on June 19, 2014

I’m not sure why this is a thing – sharing your birth story – but it is, and I’m jumping on the bandwagon.

My pregnancy was pretty uneventful. Mild cramping in the beginning, an irritating case of PUPPs in the 3rd trimester (and for 3 weeks after birth), and a lot of pelvic/hip discomfort for the last month were the worst things I experienced. Because things went so well, my mind obviously went to a deep dark place where my labor was going to last 30 hours and I would be in horrible pain. That was not the case, thankfully.

I was due May 10. So at my 39 week appointment on May 8, I asked my midwife to strip my membranes in hopes that it would jump-start my labor.

All day on May 9 I had consistent mild contractions that were 15-20 minutes apart (I downloaded an app to track my contractions). Otherwise, it was uneventful and I went to bed with the hopes that I would have a baby before the weekend was over.

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning on May 10 to use the restroom and couldn’t fall back to sleep (such was the norm for the past few weeks) so I sat in bed for about 40 minutes playing a game on my phone trying to make myself tired. I was on my way to the bathroom (which is a whopping 4 feet from our bedroom) when I felt a gush. I got to the bathroom and realized it was my water breaking, and I was losing my mucous plug at the same time (holy crap, that was gross).

When I got to the bathroom and started having more painful contractions I knew it was time to call my midwife’s office to see if I should come in. My phone call woke Ernest up and he came to see what was going on and I told him that my water broke. He stared at me like a deer in headlights for a minute and then said “What do you need me to do?”

He got dressed and got our hospital bag in the car, pulled the car out of the garage, and covered the front seat in thick fluffy towels in case any other fun liquids decided to make their escape on our 25 minute drive to the hospital.

While he was doing that, I was dealing with contractions and rocking on an exercise ball in the bedroom awaiting a call from a midwife. The midwife practice I was going to for my pregnancy has something like 12 different midwives who work 12 hour on-call shifts. The midwife I saw the most (Celina) called back very quickly, I told her what was going on and she asked what I wanted to do. I was experiencing a particularly painful contraction which caught me off guard and I started crying, but managed to tell her that I wanted to come in. She told me to go ahead and she’d see where things were when we got there.

As we were getting ready to walk out the door, I felt another bigger gush and made it to the bathroom just in time to not get my waters all over the carpet. After another few minutes of dealing with that, we were on our way.

My contractions were getting closer together but they were still bearable, and luckily it was 4am when we were driving to the hospital so traffic was non-existent. Traffic lights were still functional so we did run a couple of those to expedite our travels.

We got to the hospital at 4:30am, gave all the appropriate information, then went to a labor and delivery room and waited for the midwife.

Celina was the midwife on-call that night and it was nice to see a familiar face. She checked me and I was between 3-4 centimeters dilated, so I was admitted. Around 7am, my contractions started getting pretty intense and I asked for an epidural. That was also the time for a shift change, so Celina was going over whatever with the next midwife on call – Katherine.

Being that this was a first time pregnancy, I didn’t quite know what to expect despite the research and doctor visits and centering classes. So when all of a sudden Niagara Falls started coming from my lady bits, I was a bit shocked and started exclaiming loudly “Oh god, what the crap is that?!” Celina and Katherine whipped their heads around and looked at me alarmingly and I explained about all the fluid. They both just said “Oh” and turned back to what they were doing. Apparently this is normal, and “there’s a lot of fluid in there.” The nurse helped clean up what I dubbed “Lake Lucas” and we moved on.

I was still waiting for my epidural, and the contractions had begun to get very intense. I had acquired a birthing ball (aka exercise ball) and it helped me manage my contractions…kind of. By this point, pleasant, joking Jessi had gone into hiding and the “leave-me-the-hell-alone-what-are-you-doing” Jessi had come out to play. So when Ernest tried to rub my back or lovingly give me words of encouragement I was shushing him and waving him away, leaving him to stand there in awkward silence with the nurse.

FINALLY the anesthesiologist came around 8:15am to give me the epidural. They are required to go through all the explanations and risks first. Obviously this wasn’t their first rodeo because grunts, head nods, and thumbs up were good enough to them that I understood. Ernest had to leave the room, so he anxiously wandered around and got himself some tea while I got some sweet, sweet relief.

Within minutes of getting the epidural I was back to my pleasant self and was cracking jokes and smiling – even taking a selfie to put on Facebook.

Epidurals are my favorite.

Epidurals are my favorite.

They checked me right after the epidural and I was 9 centimeters dilated. Then for the next 3 hours, not a whole lot happened. The epidural worked a little too well, and I couldn’t feel my contractions anymore. If you can’t feel the contractions, you can’t push.

Around 11:30am the epidural had started wearing off enough for me to feel the pressure of contractions. Once I had made enough progress, Katherine could feel that Lucas wasn’t facing the right way – he needed to be anterior, but he was turned about 15 degrees. They called in the doctor to assess, so she did an ultrasound to see which way Lucas was turned so she knew which way to turn him. I heard her say “Well my hand is smaller than a baby’s head, so…”

Unfortunately, I spiked a fever during labor. This meant that Lucas and I were at risk for an infection called chorioamnionitis and Lucas would have to go to the NICU after birth. I was really sad when hearing this, but knew it was for the best and tried to not be too upset about it.

There was a team of pediatricians waiting to take Lucas over to the NICU (I think 4 of them), 2 nurses, 1 midwife, 1 attending, and another woman who was working with the midwife – I don’t remember why she was there though, and Ernest. Between contractions they all just kind of stood there, waiting, staring at my lady bits. I asked them if they ever get tired of looking at vaginas all day, no one answered me but they all laughed pretty hard.

After 4 hours of pushing, and 12 hours of labor, Lucas Dean was born at 3:38pm. He came out screaming his head off and the second I saw him I started bawling.

The first picture of Lucas and me

The first picture of Lucas and me

Still screaming his head off

Still screaming his head off

The nurse handing Lucas to Ernest so he could hold him for the first time.

A nurse handing Lucas to Ernest so he could hold him for the first time.

Father and Son

Father and Son

I had 3 tears, 2 of which needed stitches. I delivered the placenta (which looks kind of like the liver) which Ernest says was the second weirdest thing he has ever seen. They took Lucas to the NICU, and the room cleared out pretty quickly. Ernest went to get us food since I hadn’t eaten since 6pm Friday night and Ernest only had a couple of granola bars and some tea all day.

So that’s my birth story. I’m proud of how hard I worked to bring my tiny human into the world, and am so grateful to that Ernest was there to support and encourage me.


One response to “Lucas’ Birth Story

  1. Julia says:

    I am so proud of you and I love you so much!! I love Lucas too, and I love Ernest! ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: